We live in a very casual world where it is not uncommon to wear a t-shirt and jeans to work. And quite honestly, how often do you go to the grocery store and see people in PJ bottoms? But your appearance will affect how others see you. It also can affect your productivity at home or at work. The truth is that the way you dress says a lot about how organized you are, how you present yourself and how others perceive you.
We all want to be judged on our own personal strengths and not on how we dress or how our hair and makeup is done. But the truth is that our image affects how others perceive us, our reputation and our ability to get things done.
People like to do business with people who look professional. A professional image invokes trust. Think about it, it is hard to be taken seriously if you looked like you just rolled out of bed
Here are some ways that your dress, hair and makeup impact your productivity:.
- Presenting a professional image signals to others that you have your act together and that you are organized. It shows that you took the extra effort to be prepared.
- If you take time and effort on your personal image, it communicates you will also take time and effort on your job. The opposite is also true.
- Simply put, your appearance affects your reputation. While we would like to think that everyone is judged solely on their performance, the truth is that you will be judged on your appearance as well. You don’t need to wear fancy clothes, have an expensive wardrobe, or wear lots of makeup. But, you will want to dress professionally and have your hair and makeup done for your job or industry.
- When you feel good about your appearance, you feel good about yourself. Confidence can make a BIG difference in how you hold yourself and present yourself in front of others.
- According to a study by Proctor and Gamble, makeup can greatly enhance a first impression, boosting a woman’s ratings in attractiveness, likability, competence, and trustworthiness. (Women, I know we don’t like to hear this but it’s a reality that we must face!)
Don’t write off your professional appearance as superficial. Step up your dress, hair and makeup. It will boost your confidence, appearance, and ultimately your ability to get things done. It may just be the productivity booster you need to reach the next level professionally or personally!
The truth is (and you have probably heard this before) that you never get a second chance to make a good first impression!
Grateful for you,